Important tools for men’s shirts care
09th Sep 2015, Author: emilio guido
- Before wearing a new dress shirt the first time, remember to wash it before wearing. It helps to remove any possible manufacturing chemicals and also make the material softer.
- Check your dress shirt buttons occasionally to avoid it from dropping off without knowledge. Once the buttons are hanging loosely over your dress shirt, have it reinforced by making a firm knot after each sew.
- It is best to wash your high quality dress shirts by hand especially for bespoke ones. If not possible by hand, then use washing machines in Luke-warm water.
- An important aspect of men’s dress shirts care is to avoid using dry-cleaning for dress shirts. It can destroy the fabric or even turn it yellow due to the chemicals used during dry-cleaning. Instead, request drycleaners to use laundering for your dress shirts.
- Starching can cause cotton fibers weak and so the threading can break easily. Therefore, try avoiding the use of starch for dress shirts when ironing.
- Always spray your deodorant or cologne on your body and wait for it to dry before wearing the dress shirts. Avoid spraying onto your dress shirts as well otherwise it is likely to stain it permanently over time.
- The best practice in men’s dress shirts care is to promptly wash the dress shirts when it is stained. It prevents the possibility of the stain being absorbed into the dress shirt and creates difficulty in getting rid of it in the future.
- Use only diluted amount of bleach over your colored dress shirts. It is also advisable to separate the dark colored dress shirts from the light colored and white ones. This is to avoid color “runs” staining the light colored especially white dress shirts.
- Do not press the dress shirts if there is a stain. It is likely to heat the stain permanently on to the dress shirt. So it is advisable to check for stains each time after wearing it.
- Always make your dress shirts damp before using a hot iron. It avoids damaging the fabrics especially for finer cotton weaves. Steam irons from Rowenta will provide such good
The last tips on dress shirts care will be on ironing. Let’s go through some of the important steps to create a nice firm dress shirt:
- Begin ironing the collar starting from its underside. Iron away from the collar points toward the back of the neck area. Then turn the shirt over and iron the similar way for the collar at the front.
- Iron the yoke area starting from the neck outwards to the center of the dress shirt. If there are pleats at the yoke, iron the pleats flat in the direction of the fold.
- Similar to the collars, iron the cuffs inside out. Always remember to lay the sleeves flat and start from the cuff upward, then iron the other side as well.
- Lastly iron the torso starting from the shoulders down to the shirt ends. Do it step by step from the right torso panel then to the left panel. This will keep each side equally well-ironed. Remember to iron in-between the buttons as well with the iron tip.
- To create a nice shape for dress shirts, only hang your dress shirts on wooden or plastic hangers with firm shoulders. There should not be any compromise for wire hangers.
Through these few important pointers on men’s dress shirts care, it helps to provide a good idea on how to avoid unnecessary damage and help make the dress shirts crisp for wear straight from the wardrobe.